Ranking ProcedureThere is no 100% accurate way of ranking football team strength. History has shown that with the much debated FIFA rankings of national football teams.
There are so many different factors that has an influence on team performance and match results that could be taken into considerations. And as they say. "The table never lies". But the table doesn't tell who is currently the best performing team, including cup runs, across leagues on the same level and even between leagues on different levels.
So the aim has been to develop a model that as accurately as possible calculate a teams current strenght and form, including both cup and league performance but still taking the stability of performance over time into account.
Please read the About page for more info on the work with the Non-league ranking.
The Non League ranking is based on the following factors:
- All teams at step 1 - 4 in the national League system (NLS) are included in the ranking
- All matches played by these teams in their corresponding leagues in NLS, the FA Cup and the FA Trophy
- Points deducted for specific matches are also deducted in the ranking. However points deducted for incidents not related to specific matches, e.g. for financial issues are not considered in the ranking
- FA Cup matches against teams outside the ranking, e.g. teams from the Football League, step 5 etc. is also considered
Points are scored in the following way:
- Any league and cup match will give a winning team 3 points, 1 point for a draw and 0 points for losing the match. Cup and play-off matches that are decided by either extra-time or penalty shoot-out, will give the loosing team 1 point and the winning team 2 points
- The points scored as mentioned above is then multiplied with a point factor reflecting the strength of the opponent
- Finally a match importance factor is then multiplied to the point score
- The sum of points gained for a given period is then divided by the number of matches played in that same period
- In order to add stability and give teams credit for their performance in the length of a roling seasonal period, the last 4 months of points and matches are calculated together, the next 3 months will be added with only 50 % weight and finally the following 2 months is added with a 25 % weight.
Match point * Opponent strength * Match importance
- Premier League and football league teams: 320
- Step 1 teams: 160
- Step 2 teams: 80
- Step 3 teams: 40
- Step 4 teams: 20
- Step 5 teams and below: 10
- All league games: 1 point
- Play-off semi-finals: +10 % (1.1 point)
- Play-off finals: +20 % (1.2 points)
- FA Cup and FA Trophy matches increase their importance scores as follows:
|Round||FA Cup||FA Trophy|
|Extra Preliminary Round||N/A||N/A|
|Preliminary Round||0 %||0 %|
|First Round Qualifying||5 %||5 %|
|Second Round Qualifying||10 %||10 %|
|Third Round Qualifying||15 %||15 %|
|Fourth Round Qualifying||20 %||N/A|
|First Round Proper||25 %||20 %|
|Second Round Proper||30 %||25 %|
|Third Round Proper||35 %||30 %|
|Fourth Round Proper||40 %||35 %|
|Fifth Round Proper||45 %||N/A|
|Sixth Round Proper||50 %||N/A|
|Semi-Finals||75 %||40 %|
|Final||100 %||50 %|
As mentioned earlier, the ranking is calculated monthly and based on all relevant matches in the following way:
- Matches played and points gained in the last 4 months will be divided and given a factor 1 (100% relevance)
- Matches played and points gained in the last 5 to 7 months will be divided and given a factor 0.5 (50% relevance) and added to the above points from the recent 4 months
- Matches played and points gained in the last 8 to 9 months will be divided and given a factor 0.25 (25% relevance) and added to the above points from the recent 7 months
The month of May has very few matches relevant for the ranking and therefore these matches will be included in the matches for April in the roling calculation. There will however still be a ranking calculated and published for the month of May (June edition).
Promotion and Relegation into Step 1 - 4:
Teams that are either relegated or promoted in to NLS Step 1 - 4 from the Football League Two and Step 5 and therefore relevant for the NL Ranking, will be given points from the relevant part of the previous seasons league performance just as for any other team. As these teams do not participate in the FA Trophy, the Football League teams will gain points from their League Cup performance and for the Step 5 teams, the FA Vase is used. The teams will be placed in the new seasons ranking (August edition) based on these points and as long as the calculation period requires.
Check out an example on how the ranking is calculated